Are you unintentionally holding yourself back in your job search by holding fast to outdated job search tips? Unfortunately, there is a lot of outdated advice out there that can actually hurt your job hunting chances instead of helping them. Be aware of these four common mistakes when you’re searching for your next role.
Not using a branded resume in your job search:
A generic resume that isn’t branded to YOU or focused on the role you are targeting is a common mistake job seekers make.
- Take the time to determine what your value proposition is and how your skills, experiences, and accomplishments will help your next employer.
- Steer clear of blasting a generic resume into the job search market, instead take the time to read through job descriptions in alignment with the role you are pursuing and create a targeted resume that includes specific keywords and examples that demonstrate why you’re the perfect fit for the role.
Solely relying on online applications:
Applying for jobs online is seems easier and more convenient than networking, but it also significantly decreases your chances of landing an interview.
- Most DIY resumes are not ATS-compliant, and the applicant’s online submission goes into a black hole with no way of knowing if the document was ever seen by a human being or considered for the position.
- Do your due diligence and reach out to someone at the company directly —you’ll have a much better chance of getting your foot in the door through networking than you will through blind submissions.
Not following up:
Once you’ve submitted your application or had an interview, it is important to follow up with a thank-you not or email within 24-48 hours.
- Following up gives you another opportunity to showcase your interest in the position and is a great way to draw attention to your value in alignment with the employer’s specific needs.
Failing to follow up is one of the most common—and easily avoidable—job search mistakes.
Failing to network:
Statistics consistently reveal networking is still one of the best ways to find a job, yet many job seekers don’t take advantage of this powerful tool. Get connected with people in your industry or field and attend relevant events and workshops; you never know who you might meet or what opportunities might arise as a result. The more people you know, the better chance you have of finding your dream job.
When it comes to landing your next role, don’t let outdated advice hold you back. Avoid these four common mistakes—using a generic, non-branded resume, relying on online applications, not following up after an interview, and failing to network—and increase your chances of making a great impression on potential employers. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to land the perfect role in no time!
Need help? Contact BreakthroughResumes today and we’ll help you take your career to the next level.
Leave A Comment